-my treasured memories
Wednesday, December 3, 2008
9:37 AM

A year ago, I did a working attachment programme at the zoo from the 3rd-8th Dec. Since it was such a special experience to me, I felt that I just had to commemorate this yesterday...
AT THE SINGAPORE ZOO ITSELF!!!!
And it's BACK to the Treetops Trail baby!
Where I didn't only listen to a familiar commentary by a familiar face (Amanda) but also saw my 2 familiar faces whom I was looking out for- SELVEN AND CHEW! (Nawawi was off)

After saying hi to my dear siamangs, false garials, white-faced saki monkeys, weasels, tapirs, babirusas, hamadryas baboons and howler monkeys, it was time to start the visit to the zoo proper. I was a visitor. No longer a student volunteer. And I could act like a freaking tourist if I wanted to. Which I did.
Meng Yee and I were all hyped up and ready to go!! I immediately dragged her along the unfamilliar places in the zoo- places I was not assigned to work at previously. We checked out the Orchard Garden, and toured the Wild Africa and Cat Country sections.
AND I CAUGHT THE JAGUAR SHOW-
OH YES I DID!!! WHOHOOOOOO!!! We caught the orang utan feeding at 11.30am. Meng Yee was all about "oh I love orang utans they're so cuuute!" but I'm not a primate fan, really. We explored KidzWorld like the overgrown kids we were, upset that we didn't bring our swimwear but tried everything else we possibly could do. I guess you could call it a bit of a break from the animals since we were mostly fooling around and just having fun hahaha. Lunch was at the KFC there.Our next stop was Primate Kingdom. We took our time there, stopping by Sungai Buaya and taking photos of the gorgeous scenery at the Garden with a View (where Ah Meng's body is laid).We got to observe the feeding sessions with commentary by Amanda again at the Primate Kingdom. I've heard it all before of course, having worked there the first 2 days of my week attachment, but I forget things and I definitely found it interesting.
THEN IT WAS ARAPAIMA FEEDING TIME. I was surprised that Aris remembered me and was, well, civilised in his greeting. I didn't like him much last year and felt that he thought me a nuisance to have around. Wahid was there too.
Oh smelly, dirty, ugly, dirty, aggressive BABOONS!!!
IT'S FEEDING TIME!!
Meng Yee and I then took the Boat Ride, which was still under construction last year opposite the Treetop Trail office, but completed in Nov 08- just in time for us to ride!! We got the Komali boat- which actually bugged me. I actually wanted to ride on Pedro(friend!) or Omar(friend!), even Ah Meng(Singapore Zoo icon).

I went to the Fragile Forest and we both toured the Reptile Garden before realizing we were late for the Elephant Show we intended to catch. So we ran there, and yeah, we got to watch about half of it.More touring- the maned wolves, sun bear and giant tortoises to name a few, before heading to the Splash Amphitheatre for the Splash Safari show. It was the BEST ANIMAL SHOW EVER! It was very entertaining and boasted zoo's clever creatures, especially Carlos the seal.

By the time the show ended, the zoo was closing. While we were heading towards the exit, I casually struck conversation with a worker who was heading the same way. He managed to answer the two things I was desperate to know.
1) Baby Tapir still has no name.
2) the real Monster died.
Well, I'm content. Grimly satisfied, anyway.

The giftshop prices are ridiculous. The only thing I could afford to buy as a souvenir of my truly amazing memories in the Singapore Zoo were postcards. We all know it'll be a long time until I go back..

A L G A E J-

&Iquote

“This life is yours. Take the power to choose what you want to do and do it well. Take the power to love what you want in life and love it honestly. Take the power to make your life happy, because no one else can do it for you.”

- Susan Polis Schutz




aboutme

Liyana

Student- Aviation Management & Services,
School of Engineering,
Temasek Polytechnic.

=)



credits

designer joy.deprived
fonts&brushes xxx
images x
image hosting x
software

Adobe Photoshop CS3, Macromedia Dreamweaver 8.0